Thursday, August 25, 2011

Don't Look Back In…well just don't

Hindsight is a bitch. It makes you wonder too much. Looking back at the past wondering how things could've been if you you knew back then, what you do now.

 

A friend recently told me that she started dating a girl she knew. After the initial shock and awe that every man displays on hearing of such wonderful things (there really wasn't much…I've come to accept these things now. I have cool friends)

When I asked her how her Boyfriend-of-a-trazillion-years felt about it, her reply- in the form of a question- was short and crisp, "how would you feel if your girlfriend had a girlfriend?" 

 

The honest truth is that I have no idea. Whatever answer I might give is speculation and gyan gathered from couples all around me. My relationships have hardly lasted to even reach the stage of asking the 'big relationship questions'

And then I reflect back to the yesteryears. I see myself doing the things I did, make the mistakes I made. Armed with the knowledge of the future, I see situations for what they could've been, how I could've been. Better. Smarter. 

 

But what's the point? You gain nothing from it. You're only reinforcing what you've already learnt. You only end up beating yourself up for not being the person you are now. With a bitter taste in your mouth. One tiny bit more cynical 

 

 

'Back to me, I know it comes back to me.

Your will's not strong as it used to be' 


3 comments:

  1. That's initially. But After you've learnt from the first time you looked back, it's just a whole string of what if's

    Also, hug :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than hindsight.... YOu would benefit from FORESIGHT!! I like how u talk in songs... Mayer and Creed .. in the same post!! but buddy... if we all dwell on what happened in the past... and kick ourselves about it... we'd all be extremely bruised... knowing life very minutely ...as so much more is to be lived and learnt... i think we ought to try to live in the present.... the future is always better that way!! forgive urslef for what u did in the past.... Embrace the NOW... that's why its called a PRESENT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. There's nothing you gain from looking back and thinking of all the possible 'what ifs'. What's done, is done.

    ReplyDelete