Saturday, December 20, 2008

Incubus?!

Karan: yeah sorry
got dc
me: no worries
hows porcupine tree?
Karan: never heard
heard its okay
me: hmmm
i heard 2 songs
they seemed alright
and
im on an incubus semi-trip
Karan: LAKSHMAN
eat shit



This happened just a few days ago. If you're thinking Karan has no tolerance towards alternative/mainstream/contemporary music, you're probably right. But hey, don't go all judging him already. I am like that too. We all are, at some level.

The pattern is something like this : Metal heads will sneer at rock 'n roll lovers(except bands like Floyd and Zeppelin; EVERYBODY respects them). Rock 'n roll listeners sneer at emo/contemporary rock lovers. they in turn sneer at pop listeners...no wait, ALL of them sneer at pop(:P)

But why do we do it? Why do we feel that (in my case anyway) listening to bands like Incubus, Dashboard Confessional, Sum41 etc. is below our dignity?
I shared (and to an extent still do and always will share) Karan's sentiment in this regard. I actually wondered how i was getting to liking so much of Incubus all of a sudden and whether something was wrong with me.
After giving it a lot of thought i realized that there are things you can't control in life and tripping on bands 'below' us is probably one of them.
Instead of trying to figure out what was wrong with me, I diverted my attention to what about the band and it's music was I drawn to. Eventually I did get the answer.

But i still wonder why we put boundaries around us, no matter what sphere of our life.

And hey, I am no hypocrite, I am stating clearly that I think that listening to emo/punk rock as well as death/black metal is an absolute waste of time and energy, but that's just me (and karan) :P.

10 comments:

  1. What a load of crap. You made me read this so you can tell me that I waste my time?
    Asswipe.

    On a sweeter note, I dsay yeah, we all have phases. In the end we realise whatever is best for us.
    I suppose Weezer and Placebo would then be below your dignity too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well what you listen to is a waste of time for ME, not for you. you listen to it for your own reasons... :)

    weezer and placebo..yes.. :p
    though i haev a special attachment to beverly hills...

    ReplyDelete
  3. no dignity issues here. for me its about musicality now. im over the 'this sounds catchy' or 'what a fun song' trip (on the most part at least unless i'm tripping on something). giving 'composing' its due regard, a sense of musical versatility, maturity and individual talent gets me nowadays. alternative doesnt give me too much of that. but thats just me (and laksh) :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are two things in this post I absolutely agree with.
    Emo/Death/Trash Metal is as their names suggest, either really sad,dead or waste.

    Secondly, everybody sneers upon people who listen to Pop.

    But what I do not agree with to an extent is the classification of a particular band to be 'below' one.
    I am eclectic and I believe that a sound that can release endorphins and give birth to an opinion is music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Death/THrash Metal is not a waste. the musicians there are the best around today. trust me. just the intensity and musical style may not appeal to you.

    P.S: there is no such thing as trash metal..its thrash...examples being metallica, megadeth, testament, sepeltura, anthrax etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and i do not know what emo metal is. enlighten me please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. linkin park will forever be below me :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..how late am i!
    just discovered this rant of yours..
    referring to Karan's argument regarding Composing...which more broadly could be said to mean 'complexity'...
    You can possibly think your...'below' bands are lacking in complexity or whatever?
    Pop - two letter...MJ!.
    jackson has so much complexity..his composing is spot on brilliant..
    people like Slash, Van halen, nathan east played for him.
    How can you possibly say even bands like Linkin Park lack in composing!?..i mean, i personally am a die-hard Maiden fan, and Love dream theater (the epitome of complexity?), porcupine tree..
    Swami's hallowed Pearl Jam...personally i like them a lot..but there Composng, instrumentally..not very varie..evenflow/animal/porch!?

    Every genre has its bit of invidual brilliance etc in it..might not be john myung virtuosity..or petrucci or whatever..
    'cause sometimes, the brilliance is simplicity.


    ha.
    i love ranting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Jeezus.

    I know what places you losers on your flippin' high horse. You like to complicate things. Like stating the obvious and demanding a reaction. Really. Im all music, be it whatever, and Laksh, the sort of music you play can be classified as contemporary rock. Bleddy.

    *Jumps around with a guitar she doesnt know how to play*
    -over-

    Bitch fit.
    Pardon, ami.

    ReplyDelete